Friday, April 2, 2010

A Password Worth Keeping

I am sitting in front of my daughter’s desktop computer, troubleshooting a virus issue.
“Windows can’t update important files while the system is using them,” the screen says. I imagine a tiny tech guy typing this message. He is sitting at a miniature desk somewhere between the hard drive and the motherboard. The computer elf.
“Save any open files, and the restart the computer,” the elf says. I click the button and the system reboots.
“What’s your password?” I ask my daughter. She is sitting in the kitchen reading an Archie comic.
“I love you,” she says “with no spaces.”
I smile. The elf will love this. I whisper it into his ear and the screen comes magically to life.
My gem of a daughter, who knows the trick to a password worth keeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment